Drinking games are fun ways to watch movies; but drinking the same thing over and over again isn’t.
Love Zack Snyder? Love Drinking? Read on.
To start from the beginning of a Snyder marathon would be going back to Dawn of the Dead, the auteur’s first big-budget cinematic outing. Thankfully, zombies are all the rage thanks to hit TV series like The Walking Dead and big-budget features like World War Z.
-Brain Hemorrhage (shot)
- 1 1/2 oz. Peach Schnapps
- 1/2 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Rose’s Grenadine
Pour the peach schnapps into a shot glass. Over the back of a spoon, layer the Bailey’s Irish Cream. Hold the bottle of grenadine about 2 inches over the shot glass and slowly pour it in a thin stream. The Bailey’s will curdle and form “brains”.
-Zombie Cocktail (drink)
- 1/2 oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
- 1 oz. Pineapple Juice
- 1 oz. Orange Juice
- 1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 oz. Light Rum
- 1 oz. Dark Rum
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
Blend all ingredients with ice, except for the Bacardi 151. Pour blended cocktail into a glass and float Bacardi 151 on top. Garnish with a cherry, if desired. Enjoy!
Drinking Game (Some courtesy of Smashed Saloon)
Take a shot or a drink every time:
- A zombie (or person) is shot in the head
- C.J. is a douche
- Luda’s pregnancy is brought up
- One of the survivors does something new for recreation
- A weapon other than a gun is used against the undead
- Everytime someone says “Fuck” or it’s derivatives. (33 and counting).
Now onto the second in Zack Snyder’s filmography, 300, which gained a reputation as the ultimate “frat-bro” film from the early 2000s. While the movie is thematic and deep, it’s also just a good time to be had with friends on a fun night at home. Like the crowd the film was catered towards, these drinks are not for the dainty.
300 Spartans (drink)
- Jägermeister – 1/2 ounce
- Spiced Rum – 1 ounce
- Tequila, gold – 1/2 ounce
- Tomato Juice – 6 ounces
- Tabasco Sauce – 1 teaspoon
Drinking Game (courtesy of Movie Drinking Games)
Take a shot or a drink:
- Every time you see blood
- Every time the words ‘Sparta’ or ‘Spartan’ are mentioned
- Every time you see King Xerxes
- Every time you see a limb chopped off
- Every time a new army attacks the 300 Spartans
- Every time the Spartan Army chants ‘Aooohhh!’ all together
- Every time a large animal dies
- When King Leonidus dies
Up next is Zack Snyder’s brilliant 2009 adaption of Alan Moore’s graphic novel WATCHMEN, which is already a pretty lengthy endeavor to watch as it is, so do exercise some caution in trying to booze through almost 2 and a half hours of the film.
The kind folks at Isotope have you covered on a wide range of WATCHMEN inspired cocktails– so here are just a few:
Full Frontal Manhattan (drink):
- 2 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin
- 1 oz Hiram Walker Blue Curacao
- 1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 3 dashes Regan’s Orange Bitters
Shaken and served up. The Isotope staff prefers this cocktail to be served with a little backlighting for best blue glow effect.
The Black Freighter (drink):
- 2 oz Gosling’s Black Seal Dark Rum
- 3/4 oz Grand Marnier
- 1/2 oz Hiram Walker Creme De Cacao Dark
Combine over ice and stir. Too many of these, and your night might end up on the cutting room floor of your memory just like the Black Freighter scenes that were cut from the movie. Hope it doesn’t get its own DVD!
Take a shot or drink:
- Everytime Dr. Manhattan’s penis is shown
- Everytime Rorscach narrates
- Everytime Snyder cuts to slow motion during a fight
- Everytime you find yourself singing along to the soundtrack
- Everytime a scene is directly lifted from the comics
- Everytime a historical figure is seen/refrenced
Following WATCHMEN, Snyder brought Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole to theaters. Sadly, there isn’t much in the way of “owl’ themed drinks to accompany it, but the one we found sounds pretty good.
White Owl (drink):
- Smirnoff Vodka
- Kahlua and Cream
As for the game:
- Take a drink everytime slowmotion is used
- Take a drink every time the Owl City song plays
- Whenever the Guardians are mentioned
Snyder’s next, Sucker Punch, is a trip in and of itself – even without alcohol. With enough attractive women and intense action, the film could only possibly be amplified by some fun drinks and some eventful drinking instructions.
Sucker Punch (drink):
- 2 oz lollipop-infused Ocho Plata Tequila
- 1/2 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz agave nectar (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeño slice
- 1 oz ruby red grapefruit juice
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice, shake vigorously and double strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a few candies of your choice at the bottom of the glass.
To create the lollipop infusion, take 12 ounces of Ocho Plata Tequila and crush one large lollipop of your choice into it. Place all ingredients in an airtight container and allow 12 to 24 hours for the infusion process.
Take a drink when:
- A new song plays
- Slo-mo starts or stops
- Narration starts or stops
- The movie goes from reality to fantasy, or back again, or to another level of fantasy
- Someone dances
- There’s a costume change
- You find yourself sexually attracted to any member (male or female) of the cast.
Now onto the grand finale, which means your liver has either shut down or you just don’t care anymore. Man of Steel research proves there’s already a TON of drinks to be made about Krypton’s last son, and the drinking games have been as fun and harsh as ever.
- 1 oz. Southern Comfort
- 1 oz. cranberry juice
- .5 oz. grenadine
- 1 oz. gin
- .5 oz. Blue Curacao Liqueur
- (splash of Sprite and a slice of lemon in the shape of an “S” for Superman)
- 3/4 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum
- 3/4 oz Malibu® coconut rum
- 3/4 oz Midori® melon liqueur
- 3/4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 splash Bacardi® 151 rum
Take a drink when:
- It’s implied Superman is Jesus
- Kryptonian technology is mentioned
- Someone says Codex or Krypton
- A building is destroyed
- Henry Cavill looks sexy
- You see a brand name or store
- The World Engine gyrates.
That should just about cover Zack Snyder’s filmography and good luck to your liver (and wallet when attempting to get all of these ingredients). If you don’t have the time or patience to collect the necessities for the concoctions, Superman’s approved beer of choice is Budweiser. Don’t forget to find a SUPER designated driver if you’re partying at a friend’s house, and please be 21 years or older if you’re planning on trying all of these.
Stay tuned though- we’re sure Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League will have some amazing drinks and games spawning from them in the coming years.